1907 LOG OF DETAINEES|
FROM THE SS WITTEKIND
Sailed from Bremen -- Arrived New York on 10 Nov 1907.
Ellis Island Detainee Logs.
These logs were prepared by Ellis Island officials (not ship's personnel) and related to people detained there for a variety of reasons.
The most common reasons were to verify information about the person the immigrant is joining, or to telegraph money to the immigrant. Health issues usually involved a longer detention. The columns on the form are unnumbered. This detainee log contains information as follows:
- NUMBER of log entry for family.
- NAME -- note: only one entry per family.
- MANIFEST -- page and line number(s).
- NO. OF ALIENS -- 2-columns: infants and persons over 1-year old.
- CAUSE OF DETENTION.
- DISPOSITION -- usually name/address of person the immigrant is joining.
- DISCHARGED -- name of inspector, date, and time.